校长沉祖尧教授致辞

The Chinese University of Hong Kong

81st Congregation for the Conferment of Degrees

17 November 2016

Speech by Professor Joseph J Y Sung

Vice-Chancellor and President

致毕业同学的最后一席话

My Last Words to the Graduates

首先,我衷心祝贺各位应届中文大学毕业生。这一年,我们共有四千名来自八个学院的本科生,以及六千名研究生完成学业。今天,你们步入人生的新阶段,祝愿大家鹏程万里,事业顺遂。

First of all, my heartfelt congratulations to all the graduates this year from CUHK. This year, we have 4,000 undergraduates from our 8 Faculties and 6,000 from our postgraduate program. Today, you open a new chapter in your life. We wish a bright future and a wonderful career ahead of you.

每年骊歌高奏,同学毕业在即,大家难免有点离愁别绪。大家在课堂和图书馆互相切磋,在服务学习、海外探访,在困难里共同进退,彼此扶持,这些光景只能留存于回忆中,永久珍藏。

It is also an emotional time of each year, that we see our boys and girls leaving university. All the hours we spent together in classrooms and libraries, all the precious moments we shared in service learning and outreach excursions, all the hardship and challenges we faced together, will now be archived in our album of precious memories for many years.

今年,我难免比往年多带一点感慨,因为我已离卸任不远。相信不久之后,我便会回到诊症室、实验室和教学室,负上教研和行医的职责。这是我最后的一次毕业典礼致辞,有些肺腑之言,我想向各位倾吐。

This year, I am a bit more sentimental, as my days in the Vice-Chancellor’s office is also drawing to a close. Soon, I will be returning to my clinic, my lab and my classroom, to teach, to research, and to see more patients. This will be my last graduation speech on this podium and I wish to share a few words with you from the bottom of my heart.

回想过去数年的工作,实在感到有些愧怯,也深感庆幸。我庆幸有一群孜孜不倦的老师和教育工作人员,为中大尽心尽力,而他们当中有许多人服务大学多年。我愧怯交集,因为我知道教育是最艰难,却也是最值得经营的工程;教育的基业不靠一砖一瓦,而是靠汗水、涕泪,为师者以身作则,不问收获的热忱而建成。过去七年,我们经历了俗称3+3+4的课程改革,政治风波,意识型态的辩论及冲突。庆幸在这一切困难之中,得到我的团队,无数教职员无私的奉献,才得以一一渡过。

When I reflected upon what we have done in the past few years, I feel really humbled and blessed. I am extremely blessed to work with a team of dedicated teachers and educators who put their hearts and souls in CUHK, many of them having served this University for decades. I am humbled when I come to realize that education is indeed the most difficult, yet most worthwhile piece of architecture because it is not building with bricks and mortar, but with sweat and tears, with our life as example and with our belief that, while we are sowing the seeds today the reaping can only be done many years later. In the past seven years, we have gone through curriculum reform (so called 3+3+4 reform), political turmoil, ideological debates and personality conflicts. None of these can be overcome without the selfless contributions of my cabinet and my colleagues among fellow teachers and in the management.

作为教育工作者,如果我们不教导学生虚怀若谷,懂得凡事以不同观点考量,聆听和接纳不同的见解,原谅得罪我们的人,扶贫助弱,方正不阿,如果我们的毕业生只追求个人利益,不会自问对别人和社群有何责任,我们还未算完成教育的使命。

What should I say to our graduates and students who are still studying on our campus?

As educators, if we have not taught our students to be humble, to see things from different perspectives and angles, to accept differences in opinion, to forgive those who have wronged us, to give and help those who are in need and under-privileged, to upkeep one’s honesty and integrity, to claim not only one’s own rights but also responsibilities to others and to society… We have not done our job well.

作为一所教育机构,如果我们没有向社会说明,人人生而平等,应享美满生活,如果我们没有提醍学生尊重别人,如果我们没有向世人证明,创意和发明能改善人类生活,如果我们没有展示保护自然资源和生态才可与其他生物和谐并处,如果我们未能传承中国文化、哲学等学问,以保存我们身分的认同,达到结合传统与现代,融汇中国与西方,我们还未算满足教育的要求。

As an academic institution, if we have not told the society and the world that every man or woman is equal and has the right to live a good life; if we have not demonstrated to the world that through creativity and innovations, we can make the world a better place; if we have not displayed how to conserve natural resources and the ecosystem so that we can live with other creatures in harmony; if we have not been able to pass the torch of Chinese culture, philosophy and teaching, to retain our identity and make the Western world know about us… We have not done our job well.

作为你们的老师和启导者,我们希望大家不要等到「校友日」才回来母校,我们总希望你像朋友一样拍拍我们的肩膀,我们期待你一起为这伟大的学府出一分力,为中文大学面临的挑战而奋斗。若毕业后的你与母校如同陌路相逢,我们还未算达成教育的梦想。

As your teachers and mentors, we wish to see you all returning to your alma mater more frequently than just on the annual “Alumni Day”, we cherish you patting on our shoulders as your friends and family, we pray that you will contribute to the future development of this great University and help us to face challenges before us in CUHK. If we fail to keep this association with you after your graduation…. We have not done our job well.

正如James Byrant Conant 所说: 当你把所学过的东西都忘掉,剩下来的才是我的教育。我冀望你在中大学过的一点一滴,对你自己、社会、国家,皆有所用。

James Byrant Conant said “Education is what is left in your life after all that has been learnt is forgotten.” I do hope that you have learned a few things which might be useful to you, your society and your country.

二零一六年度的毕业生:我们只活一次,所以要活得不枉此生。

To all the graduates of 2016, WE ONLY LIVE ONCE, MAKE IT COUNT.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|联系我们|手机版|Archiver|教师之友网 ( [沪ICP备13022119号]

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 23:11 , Processed in 0.099545 second(s), 22 queries .